Wednesday, February 3, 2016

2016 reset

As usual, the New Year started with those pesky resolutions. You know, go to the gym, watch what I eat, lose some weight. This year however, I was so sick with bronchitis that none of that happened. So, I decided that January was just a test run, and I’m starting my New Year on Imbolc (also known as Groundhog Day, Candlemas, St. Brigid's Day, Candelaria, Feast of the Purification, etc.).

We started at the gym last week, mostly walking and Tai Chi. Being sick for two months just killed any aerobic fitness level I had achieved, and even a half mile was exhausting. But a half mile is better than sitting all day. Plus, it got us out of the house, into some winter sunshine and talking to someone other than each other! I guess starting in February was a good idea, because all those folks who started on the first of January have already stopped going. Finding a treadmill empty in January is always tough!

On the nutrition front, what I started with was simply portion control. I've found over the years that if I don't remind myself what a one cup serving really looks like, it will grow to a whole lot more, especially with favorite foods. It seems to be making a difference. I cut out fried foods a long time ago, and am limiting soda (even diet soda) to a couple of servings a week. Limitation, not deprivation, for most things.

I’m working on a new Tai Chi form, which keeps my brain active. The entire thought process is so different from Taekwondo and Karate that learning a new form is really work. I have to remind myself to slow down, not put so much power and focus into the techniques…just breathe! My knees and shoulders aren’t objecting too much, but I’m not trying to get the low stances all the way down. That’s just not going to happen.

I also got back into my choir practice at church. People don’t realize just how much work there is in singing, especially in a group. Obviously, when I had bronchitis, singing was out of the question. The coughing tends to irritate the entire group, but I had no lung power to breathe, much less sing. So, I missed the entire Christmas season this year, which made me really sad. Singing is food for the soul, even if my ribs are really sore from all that diaphragmatic breathing!

One thing I did manage to do while sick was crocheting. I finished a bunch of fingerless gloves and one prayer shawl while I was down. My technique is improving, and I think I’m going to try to move on to some more challenging patterns. Hats are next! This winter has been so mild here that I really don’t need any more, but I love to wear hats and I have some beautiful yarn that I want to try with.

I did a little herbal work over the sick days. Fire cider came out really well, and seemed to help people other than me! Some pre-shave oil was a quick mix. Now, it's time to make some boo boo salve up, as I'm running out. Motivation was hard while I was so sick, but I'm ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment