Saturday, April 26, 2014

Spring resolutions

Most people make New Year's resolutions. I have a tough time with that. Winter is depressing for me, and resolution making is hard. So, when the weather starts to warm up, the flowers are blooming (and I'm sneezing) and there's enough sunshine to raise my Vit D levels, I start to consider making resolutions. As well, two posts ago, I talked about finding a goal. I think I've found one. This year, it's kind of major. A goal is a dream with a timeline attached, you know.

For nearly 3 decades, I worked out a lot. For 15 of those years, it was daily, taekwondo, juijitsu and judo, at least 2 hours,usually more, every day. I did all the warmups with every class. I did my forms, sparred, taught, coached, refereed.... all of it. Now, for my health, I need to start working out again, after too many years of being sedentary. And it's hard. I'm tired and everything aches. The motivation of fear doesn't work well for me. Even fear for my health. My doctor is kind of demanding that I get active. So, I found something linked to things I already love to do.


I started studying Spanish in 3rd grade. My neighbors spoke it, and my curiosity was intense. This was just after Sputnik went up, and the government went wild to ensure that Americans got training in math, science and languages. My strength remains languages. We won't discuss my math skills! So, my school started offering Spanish. I loved it, and still do. I loved the language, the culture, the food. And while studying the culture, I heard about the Camino to Santiago de Compostela. A pilgrimage route across Spain that people had been walking since the 9th century. It sounded so romantic, and of course, I was learning the language.

Time, responsibilities, distance. All of them just got in the way. I sighed every time I read about the Camino. I looked at pictures...and I put it in the "bucket list" category. But now, I'm getting older, and it's a long walk. At least 100K. Carrying a pack! So, now or never. I've made the commitment to walk the Camino before the end of 2015. Time to start walking, and start saving.


No comments:

Post a Comment