Saturday, November 24, 2012

Soda Replacements.

When diet soda was introduced back in the 1960’s, my mom was thrilled. She bought a dozen cans a week, thinking she was doing a great thing by cutting out sugar. Mom was on a constant diet, and tried everything that came around. I think the worst was the hardboiled egg and coffee diet. Constant irritation and whew…the smell!
Like Mom, I figured that I could drink soda, as long as it was diet. So, a couple of cans a day, for years, went down my throat. What have I done to myself with all of that?

On Livestrong.com, they say “regular consumption of diet soda may indirectly lead to weight gain, because it may make you crave sweets”. This was based on a report from Harvard School of Public Health. The taste of something sweet makes your body think it needs energy. Since the diet soda doesn’t produce any energy, your brain sees that that food does not make you feel full, and makes you hungry for more. So, consuming diet soda could contribute to overeating. Just what I need. So, one of my first small steps is to eliminate soda from my life.

So, the sugar in regular soda is an inflammatory, and the lack of real calories in diet makes you hungrier. And this is just the first bad effect soda has. I’ve looked for substitutes that don’t have artificial sweetener, and found this great tasting tea in one of my books:

Herbal Juice: From the Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book: Protect Yourself and Your Family ... By Jessica K. Black
½ cup hawthorn leaves
½ cup hawthorn berries
½ cup rose hips
½ cup dried peppermint leaves
¼ cup dried hibiscus flowers
Zest of one lemon
Honey or stevia to taste
Mix dry ingredients together and store in an airtight container. Use 1 Tablespoon tea mix per 10 ounces boiling water, and allow to steep for 10-15 minutes. Strain and sweeten.

If you like to make a gallon at a time like I do, use ¾ cup tea mix and one gallon of boiling water. Strain through a very fine strainer or a couple of layers of cheesecloth. You can drink this warm or cold.
The ingredients in this tea are generally considered safe for all ages. Hawthorn is great for the heart, hibiscus can lower blood pressure and help with weight loss, and rose hips are full of vitamin C. This tea is a beautiful ruby color, and sweet/tart on the tongue. Enjoy! I’ll be bringing a thermos full to work as soon as my new shipment of hawthorn berries comes in from Mountain Rose Herbs (www.mountainroseherb.com)

References:


http://www.livestrong.com/article/379992-the-downside-to-diet-sodas/#ixzz2D6pXhwu9
Herbal references from www.mountainroseherb.com


4 comments:

  1. Sweet smells, also correlate to increased huger. They trick the brain into preparing the pancreas to digest all those tasty baked goods, thereby releasing some insulin and dropping your sugar slightly. Stimulating further hunger. I used to think, Oh. Lower sugar means I'll be thinner. As it turns out, I had developed type 2 Diabetes along the way as insulin resistance built up. Which increased my waistline. Through a further immune system sabotage ;), I also can't have a lot of the same baked good I used to have. I developed Celiac Sprue(a semi-rare disease). Gluten(a protein found in wheat, barley, rye and certain other related grains and by products) in the tiniest amount actually kills off my intestinal lining. The small blessing is, i now know what was wrong, how to fix it and am now willing to give more foods a chance. I had to learn the hard way. Keep up the good work Katherine!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katrina. We'll share stories along the path to better health!

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Katherine. I watched my mother drink herself into diabetes with diet soda.

    Simply stated, there is no replacement for that which is natural. Artificial sweeteners in many people, especially those who are already insulin resistant, causes insulin production.

    I have helped several friends beat type 2 diabetes with some basic rules for their life. I suspect I have prevented it in my won life too.

    Humanity is faced with an interesting challenge. The food supply is poisoned and sick. The very way in which our food is produced today is causing endless sickness. There became shockingly obvious during my research project on intolerances and allergies. We found people with allergies to substances with which they should have never been able to come in contact. However, they were in the air they breathed and the food they ate.

    If we want to be healthy, we must insist on eating healthy. If it comes from a commercial farm, GMO laboratory, or has been processed (including pasteurization) it is not healthy. This understand is the first step to recovering our health. If God made it, in it's original form, grow as it was intended, it is healthy. Otherwise, to some degree it is likely a poison for the body.

    Katrina, are you still suffering from type 2 diabetes? I would suspect the gluten intolerance is related to other deficiencies and can also be corrected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, thanks for the input! I hope you continue to help out as I meander down this path. The herb company I mentioned, Mountain Rose Herbs, is a certified organic processor through Oregon Tilth which is fully accredited with the USDA National Organic Program. I love their stuff.

      Delete